General Release & Terms of Service
READ CAREFULLY – THIS AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
Updated on April 17, 2018.
By participating in the activity of Deaf Media Summit event at Gallaudet University, Washington, D.C., starting April 17th through 19th, organized by Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc., of P.O. Box 90987, Washington, District of Columbia, 20018 and/or use of the property, facilities, services, and website of Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc., you agree for yourself and (if applicable) for the members of your family, to the following:
1. AGREEMENT TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. I agree to observe and obey all posted rules and warnings, and further agree to follow any oral instructions or directions given by Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc., or the employees, representatives or agents of Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc..
2. ASSUMPTION OF THE RISKS AND RELEASE. I recognize that there are certain inherent risks associated with the above described activity and I assume full responsibility for personal injury to myself and (if applicable) my family members, and further release and discharge Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc. for injury, loss or damage arising out of my or my family’s use of or presence upon the facilities of Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc., whether caused by the fault of myself, my family, Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc. or other third parties.
3. INDEMNIFICATION. I agree to indemnify and defend Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc. against all claims, causes of action, damages, judgments, costs or expenses, including attorney fees and other litigation costs, which may in any way arise from my or my family’s use of or presence upon the facilities of Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc..
4. FEES. I agree to pay for all damages to the facilities of Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc. caused by any negligent, reckless, or willful actions by me or my family.
5. APPLICABLE LAW. Any legal or equitable claim that may arise from participation in the above shall be resolved under District of Columbia law.
6. NO DURESS. I agree and acknowledge that I am under no pressure or duress to sign this Agreement and that I have been given a reasonable opportunity to review it before signing. I further agree and acknowledge that I am free to have my own legal counsel review this Agreement if I so desire. I further agree and acknowledge that Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc. has offered to refund any fees I have paid to use its facilities if I choose not to sign this Agreement.
7. ARM’S LENGTH AGREEMENT. This Agreement and each of its terms are the product of an arm’s length negotiation between the Parties. In the event any ambiguity is found to exist in the interpretation of this Agreement, or any of its provisions, the Parties, and each of them, explicitly reject the application of any legal or equitable rule of interpretation which would lead to a construction either “for” or “against” a particular party based upon their status as the drafter of a specific term, language, or provision giving rise to such ambiguity.
8. ENFORCEABILITY. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this Agreement, whether standing alone or as applied to a particular occurrence or circumstance, shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision of this Agreement or of any other applications of such provision, as the case may be, and such invalid or unenforceable provision shall be deemed not to be a part of this Agreement.
BY CONTINUING TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DEAF MEDIA SUMMIT YOU VOLUNTARILY SURRENDER CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO PARTICIPATE, YOU ARE BOUND TO REQUEST REMOVAL OF ALL INFORMATION RELATED TO YOU FROM DEAF MEDIA SUMMIT’S RECORDS.
Media Use Agreement
- Food, drinks, and other concessions are provided by certified vendors operating under Gallaudet University.
- In addition to this, an University sponsored student startup, MunXe, will provide meal delivery services from local sources outside of Gallaudet University.
- By participating in the Deaf Media Summit event, you agree to indemnify and defend Deaf Media Summit, c/o Eventida, Inc. against all claims, causes of action, damages, judgments, costs or expenses, including attorney fees and other litigation costs, which may in any way arise from your or your family’s use of the above vendor services.
- Eventida, Inc. cohost and organizer of the Deaf Media Summit, agrees to grant the sponsor the following sponsorship rights as outlined on the price chart, at the level selected, and if attached, special exhibitions.
- The sponsorship will commence as soon as the signature is received, and continue for the duration of all Deaf Media Summit activities during the period of 2018, and this agreement ends on December 31, 2018.
- Portions of the sponsorship value may be provided in-kind, and must be clearly outlined in attached exhibits before signatures can be official.
- For all cash contributions exceeding $600, a W-9 will be provided by Deaf Media Summit’s fiscal sponsor, Signcasts LLC (DBA Deafsourced Media), and checks mailed to Signcasts must have “for Deaf Media Summit” on the memo.
- The sponsor agrees to support the marketing efforts of Deaf Media Summit, with at least three promotions through its marketing platforms, with any new materials approved by an Eventida representative. Use of existing Deaf Media Summit promotional materials do not require any prior approval.
- The sponsor also agrees to provide all content as outlined in sponsor benefit chart according to the level and add-ons selected; logo, (optional) advertorial, and timely approval (1-2 business days) on any promotional materials containing information about the sponsor.
- In the event of a dispute arising that the parties themselves cannot resolve, the parties agree to refer the matter to an independent arbitrator appointed by mutual agreement.
- Where one party is unable to carry out its obligations under this agreement due to circumstances beyond its control or which it could not have prevented, those obligations are suspended whilst those circumstances continue, provided the other party is notified and the first party uses its best endeavours to overcome the circumstances preventing its obligations from being carried out.
- Each party shall indemnify the other against any claims arising from any breach of the agreement by either party.
- The terms and conditions of this agreement shall not be disclosed to any third parties without the prior written consent of both parties.
- The rights of either party under this agreement shall not be transferable or assignable either in whole or in part.
Collection of your Personal Information
In order to better provide you with products and services offered on our Site, DMS may collect personally identifiable information, such as your:
– First and Last Name
– Mailing Address
– E-mail Address
– Phone Number
– Job Title
If you purchase DMS’s products and services, we collect billing and credit card information. This information is used to complete the purchase transaction.
DMS may also collect anonymous demographic information, which is not unique to you, such as your:
– Deaf identity
– Interest Groups
Please keep in mind that if you directly disclose personally identifiable information or personally sensitive data through DMS’s public message boards, this information may be collected and used by others.
We do not collect any personal information about you unless you voluntarily provide it to us. However, you may be required to provide certain personal information to us when you elect to use certain products or services available on the Site. These may include: (a) registering for an account on our Site; (b) entering a sweepstakes or contest sponsored by us or one of our partners; (c) signing up for special offers from selected third parties; (d) sending us an email message; (e) submitting your credit card or other payment information when ordering and purchasing products and services on our Site. To wit, we will use your information for, but not limited to, communicating with you in relation to services and/or products you have requested from us. We also may gather additional personal or non-personal information in the future.
Use of your Personal Information
DMS collects and uses your personal information to operate its website(s) and deliver the services you have requested.
DMS may also use your personally identifiable information to inform you of other products or services available from DMS and its affiliates.
Sharing Information with Third Parties
DMS does not sell, rent or lease its customer lists to third parties.
DMS may, from time to time, contact you on behalf of external business partners about a particular offering that may be of interest to you. In those cases, your unique personally identifiable information (e-mail, name, address, telephone number) is transferred to the third party. DMS may share data with trusted partners to help perform statistical analysis, send you email or postal mail, provide customer support, or arrange for deliveries. All such third parties are prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to DMS, and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
DMS may disclose your personal information, without notice, if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on DMS or the site; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of DMS; and/or (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of DMS, or the public.
Tracking User Behavior
DMS may keep track of the websites and pages our users visit within DMS, in order to determine what DMS services are the most popular. This data is used to deliver customized content and advertising within DMS to customers whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area.
– Google Analytics
Automatically Collected Information
Information about your computer hardware and software may be automatically collected by DMS. This information can include: your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring website addresses. This information is used for the operation of the service, to maintain quality of the service, and to provide general statistics regarding use of the DMS website.
The DMS website may use “cookies” to help you personalize your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the Web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalize DMS pages, or register with DMS site or services, a cookie helps DMS to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, and so on. When you return to the same DMS website, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the DMS features that you customized.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the DMS services or websites you visit.
This website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
Security of your Personal Information
DMS secures your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. DMS uses the following methods for this purpose:
– SSL Protocol
– Secured Third Party Platforms
When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.
We strive to take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or alteration of your personal information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or any wireless network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, you acknowledge that: (a) there are security and privacy limitations inherent to the Internet which are beyond our control; and (b) security, integrity, and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and us through this Site cannot be guaranteed.
Children Under Thirteen
DMS does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen. If you are under the age of thirteen, you must ask your parent or guardian for permission to use this website.
Disconnecting your DMS Account from Third Party Websites
You will be able to connect your DMS account to third party accounts. BY CONNECTING YOUR DMS ACCOUNT TO YOUR THIRD PARTY ACCOUNT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU ARE CONSENTING TO THE CONTINUOUS RELEASE OF INFORMATION ABOUT YOU TO OTHERS (IN ACCORDANCE WITH YOUR PRIVACY SETTINGS ON THOSE THIRD PARTY SITES). IF YOU DO NOT WANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOU, INCLUDING PERSONALLY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION, TO BE SHARED IN THIS MANNER, DO NOT USE THIS FEATURE. You may disconnect your account from a third party account at any time. Update your settings on the My Account page or where any connection occurs. Contact [email protected] for assistance with removing any other information.
Opt-Out & Unsubscribe from Third Party Communications
We respect your privacy and give you an opportunity to opt-out of receiving announcements of certain information. Users may opt-out of receiving any or all communications from third-party partners of DMS by contacting us here:
– Web page: https://deafmediasummit.org
– Email: [email protected]
– Phone: 202-524-9640
From time to time, DMS may contact you via email for the purpose of providing announcements, promotional offers, alerts, confirmations, surveys, and/or other general communication. In order to improve our Services, we may receive a notification when you open an email from DMS or click on a link therein.
If you would like to stop receiving marketing or promotional communications via email from DMS, you may opt out of such communications by clicking on the unsubscribe link on any email or contacting us at [email protected]
External Data Storage Sites
We may store your data on servers provided by third party hosting vendors with whom we have contracted.
Changes to this Statement
DMS welcomes your questions or comments regarding this Statement of Privacy. If you believe that DMS has not adhered to this Statement, please contact DMS at:
Deaf Media Summit c/o Eventida, Inc.
P.O. Box 90987
Washington, District of Columbia 20090
Effective as of January 01, 2018